TOR Call to Join Tea Leaf Center Consultants Roster
Posted February 3, 2020
Open call beginning February 2020 – rolling
** TOR PDF link here **
The Tea Leaf Center (TLC) is a social enterprise consulting firm based in Thailand that supports locally-led research. We provide tailored coaching and training, on-call support and platforms to connect researchers. We believe that local researchers, with the right skills, ask more relevant questions, use more appropriate methods and interpret findings with greater contextual knowledge. This leads to more effective and more inclusive solutions to problems like inequality and climate change.
The Tea Leaf Center was founded in 2018. Since then, we have conducted workshops and trainings for organizations in Thailand and Myanmar on writing for research and advocacy, research design, research proposal-writing, and research ethics. We support organizations working on a wide range of topics, from public health and informal education to human rights and gender equality. We focus on building the skills and critical thinking required for rigorous, reliable research.
We are looking for experienced trainers to join a roster in order to fulfill our partners’ needs and meet increasing demand.
The Tea Leaf Center aims to improve the quality and impact of locally-led research by:
- providing on-demand, customized mentorship and training for local organizations while they conduct research; and other demand-driven workshops;
- connecting researchers of diverse backgrounds to discuss issues of common concern, so that local researchers are better connected to others working on research in their countries and fields; and
- conducting high-quality research, including monitoring and evaluation.
The Tea Leaf Center is seeking applicants for a roster of trainers for our trainings on writing, research and advocacy. These trainers would be called upon occasionally as consultants to conduct trainings for our partners, either in cooperation with TLC staff or independently. These trainings may occur in Thailand or Myanmar. We are seeking applicants experienced in training on one or more of the following topics:
- Research design
- Qualitative research methods
- Quantitative research methods
- Qualitative analysis
- Quantitative analysis
- Survey design and administration
- Fieldworker training
- Writing, including persuasive writing and narrative writing
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Grant writing and project planning
Trainers should use an empowering approach in which the participants practice the skills they learn during the training. Basic training curriculum will be provided and should be adjusted, in collaboration with Tea Leaf Center staff, based on the needs of the trainees.
- Experience conducting or assisting trainings on any of the above topics;
- Experience conducing research in Southeast Asia or otherwise working on the relevant training topics;
- An empowering, supportive approach to building capacity and a commitment to locally-led research;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to adjust curriculum as needed during trainings;
- Availability for occasional trainings of 1-5 days;
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments and ability to build strong relationships with diverse colleagues and partners;
- Strong understanding of the context including potential security risks faced by participants and ability to plan to mitigate those risks;
- Proficient in English required; Burmese or Thai proficiency preferred; other relevant languages will be considered a plus.
Local and international candidates accepted. Pay rates are based on experience and level of responsibility regardless of nationality.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. The cover letter should indicate which topic(s) you are capable of covering, and why you think you are a good fit for the Tea Leaf Center. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.