Deadline: ASAP, no later than 5 January 2023
Start Date: Negotiable, January-February 2023
Applications will be considered when received and the position may be filled before the deadline
The Tea Leaf Center Co., Ltd. is a social enterprise research and training consulting firm based in Thailand. We support locally-led research by providing tailored coaching and training, on-call support, and platforms to connect researchers.
The Tea Leaf Center was registered as a company limited in Thailand in 2019. Since its formation, the Tea Leaf Center and its directors have conducted evaluations and other research for international and local NGOs and conducted trainings on writing and research for local organizations working in environmental conservation, land rights, public health, migrant education, human rights and other areas. We have also worked with a local university to support quality academic research in Myanmar.
The Tea Leaf Center has three work areas:
- Capacity-Building: Building the capacity of local civil society and community-based organizations to conduct high-quality and impactful research through trainings and mentorship;
- Early Career Researchers: Support to early-career researchers from Southeast Asia working in civil society through career development opportunities, conference participation, publishing and other activities;
- MEL: Monitoring, evaluation and other learning research services focused on creating more effective empowerment and more equitable partnerships.
The Capacity Building Department provides tailored online and in-person trainings and mentorship programs to local organizations in Myanmar and Thailand, and plan to expand elsewhere in Southeast Asia. We work with client organizations to identify areas where they need support in their research, writing and related skills, and design a program of training and practical implementation to fit their needs. We prioritize long-term partnerships in order to increase the impact of our work. As part of this capacity-building work, we are in the process of soft-launching an online research education platform, with basic and advanced self-paced courses on various research topics.
The Tea Leaf Center is hiring a Capacity Building Manager to lead the development of our Capacity Building Department, including managing live in-person and online research trainings and mentorships, leading the development of our online research education platform, and other related responsibilities. This position will be responsible to manage relationships with training clients, develop new client relationships, manage and oversee development of new curriculum for the online platform, and ensure a high quality of trainings implemented by our diverse research training staff. This position will not be responsible for the substantive content of research trainings, which is overseen by our research staff, nor will they be expected to lead trainings, unless those trainings are in their area of expertise.
The position will involve an initial one-year contract with a three-month probation period. The contract will be extended upon mutual agreement of all parties. This position is intended to be long-term and contribute to the development and growth of the Tea Leaf Center.
This position is open to candidates of any nationality, and may be located remotely or in Chiang Mai, Thailand. However, the candidate is expected to be available online during working hours in Southeast Asia and available to travel as needed in Southeast Asia (travel expenses paid within the region).
- Manage and oversee research and M&E trainings led by Tea Leaf Center staff and consultants, including
- managing the relationships with client organizations,
- developing TORs and workplans,
- ensuring pedagogical quality of the curriculum developed/adapted by the lead trainer, and;
- overseeing implementation including ensuring the training meets the Tea Leaf Center standards and that monitoring and evaluation data is collected as needed;
- Conducting outreach and developing new relationships with potential clients for research trainings and mentorship;
- Managing the development of the online research education platform, including proposing new courses, managing consultants who develop courses, and conducting outreach to organizations to use the platform;
- Contribute to the development of the department, including contributing to strategy and hiring of research training staff; and
- Managing research training staff, as they are assigned to work on trainings/mentorships.
- At least a bachelor’s degree and relevant 5-10 years’ experience working in non-profit or education field, especially involving trainings and capacity-building for local organizations.
- Experience developing and/or revising curriculum
- Ability to contribute to TOT trainings and mentor trainers to improve their skills
- Experience in managing or contributing to online learning platforms
- Experience managing small teams
- Experience conducting outreach and managing partnerships
- Proficient working English (spoken and written).
- Commitment to empowering local communities and civil society organizations.
- Able to work independently and as a team.
- Willing to contribute to different areas of the Tea Leaf Center’s work and organizational development.
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and inclusively with people of diverse backgrounds, including ethnic and religious minorities and other marginalized populations.
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject, and/or teaching certification.
- Experience in conducting research, including assessments, evaluations or other MEAL research.
- Experience conducting trainings, including related to research and/or MEAL.
- Experience in grant writing and managing grants
- Proficient in Thai, Burmese or another regional national or minority language.
- Have basic knowledge in photo and/or video editing software.
The Capacity Building Manager will receive a monthly salary based on experience and qualifications. The Tea Leaf Center also provides other staff benefits including a stipend for health insurance and communications expenses after the probation period.
How to Apply
Send the following application materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Capacity Building Manager” as soon as possible, no later than 05 January 2023 (applications will be reviewed when received and a decision may be made before the deadline):
- Cover letter explaining relevant experience and reasons for applying; and
- The names and contact information of two references, including at least one with direct knowledge of the applicant’s research experience/skills.