Job Description: Research and Training Associate (Thai and English Language)
Deadline: 14 November 2021
click the link below to download the call
The Tea Leaf Center
The Tea Leaf Center Co., Ltd. is a social enterprise research and training consulting firm based in Chiang Mai, Thailand. We support locally-led research by providing tailored coaching and training, on-call support, and platforms to connect researchers.
The Tea Leaf Center was registered as a company limited in Thailand in 2019. Since its formation, the Tea Leaf Center and its directors have conducted evaluations and other research for international and local NGOs and conducted trainings on writing and research for local organizations working in environmental conservation, land rights, public health, migrant education, human rights and other areas. We have also worked with a local university to support quality academic research in Myanmar.
The Tea Leaf Center is hiring a long-term Research and Training Associate to lead and support trainings, research, evaluations, assessments, and other similar projects. The Research and Training Associate will lead or co-lead projects for the Tea Leaf Center’s clients, identify new opportunities for collaboration and assist in organizing events to support locally-led research. This position will be full-time.
The position will offer many opportunities for learning and growth, including learning new research methods and taking increasing amounts of responsibility in training research projects (along with respective increases in pay). Since the Tea Leaf Center is still in the start-up phase, this position gives the opportunity to contribute to the development of the organization.
The position will involve a one-year contract with a three-month probation period. The position will be based in Chiang Mai, but can be remote in the first months due to the pandemic.
- Lead or co-lead research/evaluation projects for international and local civil society organizations in Southeast Asia, including working with one or more research and/or training assistant; (under the supervision of the Tea Leaf Center’s Directors);
- Lead, co-lead and contribute to research training projects (online and in-person) for civil society organizations in Southeast Asia, using the Tea Leaf Center’s existing curriculum;
- Develop new curriculum and materials for online and in-person research trainings;
- Create, contribute to and assist in translation of video lessons for the Tea Leaf Center’s online research training platform;
- Help build and maintain relationships with local and international non-profit organizations in Thailand (and in other countries in Southeast Asia, when travel becomes possible); and
- Assist in organizing online events to promote locally-led research, including webinars, forums, roundtables and others.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to learn diverse skills
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree and relevant 3-5 years’ experience doing research in social science, development, international relations or other relevant field.
- Experience in conducting qualitative and/or quantitative research, including surveys, interviews, focus group discussions and/or participatory research.
- Experience working with local or international non-profit organizations.
- Fluent Thai and proficient working English (spoken and written).
- Commitment to empowering local communities and civil society organizations.
- Willing to learn new skills and contribute to different areas of the Tea Leaf Center’s work and organizational development.
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and inclusively with people of diverse backgrounds, including ethnic and religious minorities and other marginalized populations.
Qualifications (preferred, one or more)
- Experience conducting trainings or facilitating workshops, especially related to research.
- Proficient in another regional language, including Lao, Khmer, Shan/Tai Yai, Karen (Sgaw or Pwo), Burmese or other.
- Experience conducting research with children and/or youth.
- Have basic knowledge in photo and/or video editing software.
- Experience in helping with online trainings, webinars, meetings or other activities.
The Research and Training Assistant will receive a monthly salary based on experience and qualifications, plus an additional amount based on the days per month worked on paid research projects.
How to Apply
Send the following application materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Research and Training Associate” by 14 November 2021 (applications will be reviewed when received and a decision may be made before the deadline):
- Cover letter explaining relevant experience and reasons for applying;
- A writing sample from a recent research project (early draft if possible); and
- The names and contact information of two references, including at least one with direct knowledge of the applicant’s research experience/skills.